smog laws

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: smog laws
From: Charles N Horton <carolus@mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 12:10:02 EDT
>In our considerable experience, only those cars fail that deserve to. If
>your engine is in good condition and tuned properly, it will pass.

     That would be the case with rational smog rules. But to give an
example from the vintage Landcruiser list:
     One guy lives in a state with visual inspections. Awhile back,
he replaced the carburetor with a newer, cleaner, more efficient
aftermarket design. The truck burns less gas with this carb, and
it burns it more cleanly to boot. So the fellow takes his truck
to be inspected, and sure enough, it fails because it doesn't have
the factory carb. The guy goes home, takes off his aftermarket carb,
puts the Toyota carb back on, and drives back to the inspection
station. It passes!
     I don't want to be breathing smog any more than the next guy,
but this is ridiculous.

Charles.