Re: midget backfiring

To: "Pheysey" <pheysey@enol.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: midget backfiring
From: "Robert Allen" <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 08:57:12 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Pheysey <pheysey@enol.com>

>My 78 midget is backfiring--not too badly, and generally when shifting
>from first to second as the engine slows down a little.  It's not very
>loud, but it's something I would prefer the car not do.  the car
>seems to do it more often when under hard acceleration.  besides this
>the car runs well.  I believe backfiring is from unburned fuel igniting
>after it's left the engine?  what are some things I could check for or
>try?

I've always thought of it as a sign that you need a tune-up. OTOH, I've
always liked a little backfire on overrun so, whatever. You aren't one of
those anarchists with collector plates are you? They're disallowed on RB
midgets, ya know.

Anyway, to 'fix' this feature:
1) Valve timing good
2) Spark plugs/wires/cap/rotor newish
3) Timing advanced a little more than spec
4) EGR valve and plumbing operational
5) Idle speed at spec or lower
6) Air pump functional

If 1, 2, 4 - 6 already accomplished, a little more #3

Alternatively:
1) It's British, endearing, and cool. Get over it.

Bob Allen, Kansas City
"This list needs Ed to make David D. look good."