Re: Credit Where Credit is Due (no LBC content)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Credit Where Credit is Due (no LBC content)
From: Ann Snyder <snydera@mis.finchcms.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 10:10:57 -0500
A direct quote from "Miss Manners":

  "Dear Miss Manners-- I have a Ph.D. in astrophysics. Once in a while, I
like to introduce myself as "Dr. Jones."  My wife has lately informed me,
however, that society reserves the title of "doctor" only for medical
professionals, not Ph.D.s.  Is she correct?
  Should I avoid introducing myself as "doctor" so as not to give the false
impression that I am an M.D.?
  Gentle Reader--No, you should avoid introducing yourself as "doctor" to
avoid giving the impression that you are a pompous fool.
  Your wife is correct  that, traditionally, the medical title is the only
one used socially.  Miss Manners' point is that it is socially pompous to
use any title in regard to oneself."

Ann
 '72 B GT
 '71 B roadster
 '74.5 B GT (just completed 2000 mile shake-down cruise to Hagerstown!)
 '2 many project cars to mention