Re: SU damping

To: Mg List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: SU damping
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 23:42:51 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Palmer Family wrote:

> Hey listers, My rear piston on my SU carbs at any RPM is about a 1/4 inch
> higher than the front one.  I have tried all the screws, and have even
> adjusted the mixture to cure this problem. My question is, could it be the
> damper oil?  If they are at different levels, will one be higher??

No, the viscosity of the oil determines how quickly the piston rises, but
not how far it rises.  The quantity of oil has very little effect unless
it is very low, but does not affect how far the piston rises.

The most likely cause is that your carbs are not synchronized.  If both
carbs are passing the same volume of air (and assuming one of the pistons
or dampers isn't damaged), both pistons will rise to the same level.
You'll find instructions for synchronizing dual carbs in any manual that
covers your car.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO
fold@bcpl.net