Re: midget rear engine seal

To: Scott Bullock <sbull@preferred.com>
Subject: Re: midget rear engine seal
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 07:58:59 -0700
Scott Bullock wrote:

> I am rebuilding a mid 70's midget 1275 engine and while I have it in the
> machine shop I am considering converting the original rear "seal" to one
> of the more modern types. I know conversion kits are available but don't
> have clue where to look.  Could someone help?  Also has anyone had
> experance with these conversions?  Thanks
>
> Scott

Part of my misspent youth was in fitting Morris Marina 1275cc 'A' series
into the Morris Minor/Morris 1000, and into the odd early MG Midget.( I
believe the Marina was called an AUSTIN in the USA.) I tried this
neoprene seal kit and found it wanting, as the surface of the block
really needs to be machined for it to fit properly, as does the outer
rim of the crankshaft flywheel boss, or it chews the seal up. Oddly
enough, a very similar kit at amlmost £300 ($450) is now marketed for
the XPAG 1250cc engine fitted to the 'T' series, ( Y types and 4/44). I
have not used this, but friends who have say it too is not perfect,( but
rather expensive.) The Miget 1500 using the old Triumph Herald/Spitfire
engine, already has a neoprene sprung loaded seal fitted.

Try Moss Motors, they usually keep such products.

Neil