Re: Starting Problems - Again

To: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Subject: Re: Starting Problems - Again
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 16:29:20 +0000
Philip Hubbard wrote:

> Well, here we go again.
>
> Drove the Midget for about 10 miles or more today to a computer fair and
> back.  No problems.  Got home and shut off the engine and then remembered I
> wanted to listen for a vaccum leak I thought I heard the other day while
> pottering about the engine.  Turned the key and a weak turnover and then
> nothing.  As if the battery were low/dead.  Let it set for about a minute
> and it started right up.  Turned it off and back on - same no start as
> before.  Went up stairs, did some things around the house and went out and
> it started right up again.  Moved it into the garage and started work on
> the rear suspension.
>
> When I had this problem before I had the battery tested and 2 out of 3
> places said "bad battery".  So I have a brand new battery in the car.  I
> never did the testing I had planned to do earlier so tomorrow out comes the
> voltmeter.  If I've got a good understanding of the list's previous advice
> on testing, I should first test to see that there is current across the
> battery.  Then see if it is registering 12 volts or so while running?  If
> not, a charging system problem?

Charging voltage should be 14.0v - 14.v for an alternator and about 14.5v - 15v
for
a dynamo (MGB).

To check the starting circuit disconnect the coil and with the voltmeter
connected
between the ground terminal post (not the connector) of the battery and the
body of
the starter, crank the engine and note the reading.  Now do the same from the
hot
battery post to the heavy cable connection on the solenoid (for a pre-engaged
starter) or the starter connection for a remote solenoid.  If you see more than
0.5v
on either side you have one or more poor connections.  Connecting the voltmeter
intermediate points on the circuit will tell you which one or ones are faulty,
or
you may decide to clean them all up.

PaulH.