MGA Rear Hub Retaining Nut Size

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGA Rear Hub Retaining Nut Size
From: Wildbil923@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 16:05:12 EDT
Fellow Listers:

I've taken on the task of replacing the rear seals on my 1960 MGA  (equipped
with    wire wheels.)  I am at the point of removing the hub retaining nut and
find that a 2" socket is too large and a 1 7/8 socket is too small.  I've got
a pretty extensive tool catalog and it doesn't list a 1 15/16 socket.  I'm
guessing the nut is whitworth, which would probably be near impossible to get
in this size.  Has anyone found a socket size that fits?  Perhaps a metric
size?

Bill Wilkman
1960 MGA
1961 AH 3000 BT7