Midget early type steering rack advice needed

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Midget early type steering rack advice needed
From: Tommaso Bacigalupo <tommasob@aimnet.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 13:54:18 -0700 (PDT)
Hi !

The midget repair manuals say that one should fill gear oil SAE140 into
the early type steering racks.

OK, I have done that.

Now I have the problem that the oil is leaking out:

1) at the pinion seal
This is only a felt type seal. How can it keep the oil inside ?

2) at the (fresh) gaiters when turning the pinion
When turning the pinion one gaiter compresses, the other expands.
Obviously there is no air flow through the rack so that the compressed
air could move to the opposite gaiter. Instead the gaiters are deformed in
such a way that at the gaiter <-> rack connection some oil leaks out
(no matter how tight the gaiter circlips are).

3) at the bottom cover
Where can I find new shims for the bottom cover ?

Can anybody give me some advice please ?

Thanks
  Tommaso