Re: Blade fuse Conversion

To: bruset@home.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Blade fuse Conversion
From: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D. Arnold)
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 08:52:36 EDT
Ben:

>I'm more interested in the blade fuses. I *loathe* the fuse
>box in the B now - I'd much prefer to convert over to a more
>modern design. Anyone know how I might go about this?

I picked up five fuse blade fuse boxes at Parts America for around $7-10
each for use on Miss Molly the ''79 Midget.  I plan to remove the wires
from one side of the old box, and put them in a similar position on one
of the new boxes.

The new box has only one spade connector per side position while the old
one has two, so I may need to manufacture some 'Y' connectors.  I have
considered separating the wiring and using both boxes:  for example,
putting the wiring from the top connector of the old box's 1st position
on the new box's 1st position and the wiring from the bottom connector on
the old box's 1st position on the new box's second position, etc.

Since Molly has only four fuses on her original box, I'll still have some
positions left open for future needs regardless of which way I go.

As to the alternator conversion, someone posted a set of instructions for
a AC-Delco conversion on a MGB a while back, and the 100 amp alternator
should be the same size case.  I would think that you wouldn't need
anymore than a 63 amp, though.

Luck,

Rich
'79 MG Midget "Miss Molly"
'78 Chevy Half-Ton "Waltzin' Matilda"
'89 Blonde-Haired, Blue Eyed Daughter "The Boss"

"It is wise to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties."
James Madison ca. 1791