two for one

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: two for one
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 19:07:33 -0600
It doesn't get very hot in Montana usually. But the last few weeks with
temps in the 90s, I have left my 71 BGT parked while driving my 74 Toyota
Landcruiser, with the top off, to work.

Finally today the high was in the low 80s so I went to start the MG. I
think it gets pissed when I don't drive it and today was no different. No
fire and not much cranking power. I think my 5 yr old batteries are on
their last leg.

Of course when I got home, I tried to start the car and it fired right up.
So now I'm charging the batteries for tommorrow's drive.

I'm still one of the few advocates of the dual 6 volt system. I get my
batteries from a local supplier who has quoted me $43 per battery. This
time he has to order them, not like the old days when he used to keep them
in stock. But he gets them from Denver so its only a couple of days away.

But I did ask him about just going to the similar sized 12 volt battery as
many of you have already done. The first thing he said was that I would
lose a lot of cranking power (each 17HF is about 350 cranking amps, he
didn't say what the 12 volt would do).

So I felt vindicated in my argument for the sixers, even though it will
cost me a bit more. Granted, I'm not 100% for originality - I don't use the
helmet style battery connecters. I still remember cutting them off the
first BGT I owned the first time the car didn't start.

I'm still hoping to pick up another BGT next month if the deal goes. Then I
can list all my cars below my sig too and have more than one LBC on the list.

David Councill
71 MGB-GT (the car)
74 Toyota Landcruiser (the topless one)
92 Ford Explorer (to be conventional)