Rockers

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rockers
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 15:51:03 EDT
Be careful!!  My friend took his race engine to a builder that supposedly knew
MGs. When I was helping him change a head gasket later in the season, it came
to light that the builder had used late rocker pedestals on an early style of
head (HRG in this case). The oiling passage for the rockers doesn't line up
unless you have the right combination of pedestal and head, and this one had
been running on splash oiling only for most of a season, resulting in trashed
shaft and rockers.  A demonstration of Spohn's first rule of racing - either
do it yourself, or if you must have someone else do it, double check them. I
can recite every torque value on an MG engine from memory, but I ALWAYS look
it up anyway, as one mistake can be pretty expensive. To expect some guy that
probably spends his days working on Nissan motors to pay as much attention to
your job as you would just isn't very realistic.

Bill S.

<<Usually, you take the entire assembly to the machine shop and they install
the
bushings into the rocker arms and then ream them out to fit the shaft.
Additionally, there are oil holes that must be drilled through the
bushings to match passages in the rocker arms.  Best thing to do is take
the shaft and arms to a machine shop to have the bushings reamed to fit>>