Re: Sparkplugs black / SU problem

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Sparkplugs black / SU problem
From: Fred Mill <millfm@wolfenet.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 09:39:05 -0700
I had a similar problem on a parts car I bought. Both rear plugs would
carbon foul within a few seconds of running. (although this could just
as easily happen to the front plugs.) No amount of mixture adjustment
would lean the rear carb out enough. I finally found by looking down the
carb while the engine was running, fuel was spraying around the outside
of the jet as well as through the center. I haven't taken it apart yet,
but it look like the seals on the tube holding the jet are bad. I think
this would only happen with a type 'H' carb.

Fred Mill
1969 MGB-GT
1951 TD

Plugs 1 & 2 are a nice pale brown in color however, plugs 3 & 4 are
black, 4 more so than 3.  Any suggestions as to why and along with that,
a solution.

Thanks in advance, Eric
1960 MGA 1600 Roadster
Ottawa MG Club