Re: Question on '59 MGA steering column

To: Dave Ahrendt <ahrendt@agfa.com>
Subject: Re: Question on '59 MGA steering column
From: Art Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 10:46:06 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Dave Ahrendt wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is perhaps a rather strange question but...Assuming (love that word)
> that all parts are correct is there any adjustment to the overall length of
> the
> steering column?  On my recently acquired '59 1500 roadster the inner
> (rotating)
> portion of the column seems to protrude too far into the car.  This car
> has the adjustable column.  The portion that seems too long is the part that
> the sliding portion fits into.
>
> Other that the distance the splines engage into the u-joint is there any
> other adjustment?  Is there any way that the actual rack could be
> assembled incorrectly such that the pinion is not fully "home" in the
> rack?
>
> Would someone with access to their MGA measure the distance from the
> face of the dash to the end of the outer tube and the distance from the
> dash to the steering wheel side of chrome adjuster clamp (which should be
> the end of the inner tube)?
>
> Thanks,
>
>     Dave

        Dave the measurement from the dash to the bottom of the clamp
(engine side) is 1/2". From the dash to the top of the clamp is 1". From
the dash to the steertng wheel is 3" on mine but that depends where the
wheel is set. I would think that maybe you are missing the chrome spring
and that is why it looks funny.
...Art> >