B Speedo Angle Dr ?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: B Speedo Angle Dr ?
From: Williams/MG Guy <mgguyc100@newedge.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 19:13:41 -0600 (MDT)
This may well be a dumb question, but - are there two angle drives on a B
speedo? One at the back of the speedo itself (NLA I believe), and another on
the transmission?

When I connected the brand new OD speedo cable over the winter's OD
installation, I screwed the obvious tranny end of the cable, right up to the
unit. (At the time, I thought it was a rather loose fit for the cable to
transmission, but as the speedo worked fine I thought 'twas ever thus - for
a few hundred miles.

Then the unit conked out. Tonight, while pondering the factors that could
possibly result in speedo failure (right-angle drive at speedo, kink in
cable, dirt, lubrication..) it struck me that the catalog and workshop
manual illustrations show an angle drive at the tranny. Checking my non-OD
transmission removed over the winter - sure 'nuff, there's an angle drive.

So back to my original question (BTW, it's a late '68 MGB) are there right
angle drives at BOTH ends of the speedo cable? If yes, then is the angle
drive the same from a non-OD to an OD?

And, what possible maladies have been afflicted to my new cable if indeed I
was daft enough to miss (mess?) this point?

Thanks in advance for advice & input.

Terry 'Speedoless' Williams
'70 BGT
'68 roadster