Adjusting Brakes and Dizzeys -Reply

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu
Subject: Adjusting Brakes and Dizzeys -Reply
From: William Schooler <WSchooler@hcfa.gov>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 10:50:53 -0400

>>> RAY WYGONIK <RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu> 07/30/98 10:37am >>>
Rear brakes on a 74 MGB.  Confirm that they are not self-adjusting.  Last night
I turned the small square head bolt on top and that seemed to adjust the
brakes.  someone in the know tell me if I'm right or wrong.

Confirm - they are not self adjusting.  You turn the adjuster bolt clockwise to
"tighten" the brakes.  Procedure is to turn it clockwise just until the wheel
locks, then back off one click, assuring that the wheel will then rotate without
brakes dragging.

Dizzy.  Which way do you turn the fine adjusting knob to advance the timing.

You turn it towards the "A".  If you look closely on the vacuum advance body you
will see a two-headed arrow, one end marked with an "A" for advance and an "R"
for retard on the other.

Thanks for the help

Ray Wygonik  P.E.                             Internet: rwygonik@grove.iup.edu
Facilities Engineering & Construction Group      Phone: (724) 357-4484
Indiana University of Pennsylvania                 Fax: (724) 357-6480
Indiana PA  15705-1087