Preserving NOS Parts

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Preserving NOS Parts
From: MGMagnette@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 11:59:17 EDT
Thanks to Roar Nygard of Norway, who's e-mail address I will provide if he
lets me, I have just recieved the following 40 year old, still in original
packaging, completely as-new perfect Lucas parts for my 1959 MG Farina
Magnette:
   2 turn signal assemblies
   2 stop light bases and lense bottom halves
   1 Horn Rim (ya, a Lucas part!)
   2 Reverse reflector rims
   1 Large boot reverse lamp
     ...as well as a vacumm advance, an interesting book, and headlamp
gaskets...

THE QUESTION IS...

   All of these parts look BRAND NEW, and aside from never putting them on my
car (not an option) what can be done to preserve these parts?  Chrome polish
I'm sure would just damage the perfect chrome rather than protect it.  These
parts are getting stored in my mother's linen closet until the car is painted,
but what would you all do to protect these parts from the elements once
installed?

   Thanks,
       John