Re: MGA maintenance questions

To: Kevin Richards <flybirds@erols.com>
Subject: Re: MGA maintenance questions
From: Art Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 13:59:32 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 2 Aug 1998, Kevin Richards wrote:

> I just became the proud new owner of a 62 MGA 1600 MkII.
> I would like to change the oil and put on a new filter.
> I have been advised to use a NAPA (Wix) filter in conjunction with 20W50
> oil. is this correct?

****** Unless you have a regular spin on filter I don't think NAPA can
help you. In any case the MGA filter hangs upside down so the anti drain
back feature on the WIX is not necessary.

> Also, I'd like to put in a new fuel filter. Where is this located on the
> car and if it doesn't have one, what should I install? if it does have
> one, who makes the best one? I have seen the ones in the top of the
> float bowls...are these the only filters?
>
> Just got a new set of ECHLIN points (aftermarket Co dist thru NAPA)
> should these be a suitable replacement? Also, what about standard NAPA
> dist caps and rotors...are these suitable replacements and can they be
> trusted in a car such as mine?

***** IMHO yes to both questions. I have never had a problem with after
market parts such as these in in some cases prefer them because they often
carry a life time guarantee

> Also, the little rubber gasket thingy on the dipstick is long gone, am I
> doing any damage to the engine by running the engine without it in
> place?

***** No damage but oil can shoot out the hole. The part is cheap I would
jut order one

> Plugs, I bought the "closest" to the manual recc'd Champion N5 spark
> plug. Should I go with Champion, or is NGK a better idea?

***** Some will argue the benifit of one over the other with any part. I
doubt that you would notice the difference if you used either. I have
always bought which ever plugs were on sale (for all my cars and never had
a problem.