How to access speedo cable?

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: How to access speedo cable?
From: "Andrew Errington" <ame@synaptics.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 13:47:25 -0700
Hi,

my speedo is broken, but I don't know which end of the cable the problem is
at.  I have a '69 B Roadster (w. padded dash, central rectangular oil gauge
and no glove compartment).  I can see the speedo cable where it comes over
from the centre console somewhere, but I cannot get my hand in behind the
speedo itself to disconnect it so I can see if it spins (and therefore
narrow down the location of the fault).

There must be a knack for this, anyone know what it is?

As an aside, I am informed that in 4th gear the speedo and tacho needles
move in unison, so the position of the tach needle can be used to show the
speed on the speedo (e.g. 25 on the tach is 40mph or thereabouts).
Allegedly the dash instruments were engineered this way.  Could someone
drive around a  bit and confirm this?

All help gratefully received,

Andy