Midget bonnet release...MGB wheel shimmy

To: MG list <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Midget bonnet release...MGB wheel shimmy
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 18:39:30 -0400
I drove Midgets for about 15 years & was never able to use the bonnet
release handle located under the dash. They seize up as soon as the new
cable is installed, something about contact with the air... Just reach
in the front wheel opening, in front of the wheel & slightly up, & you
should contact the release cable. Just pull on the cable housing to
release the bonnet. Once the bonnet is up, you will see the cable is not
supported from the latch until it reaches a point on the inner fender.
Any tug in the unsupported portion should release the latch even if the
inner wire is seized to the outer housing.

Some Datsun wheels do not use tapered lug nuts, & have a flat shoulder
on the wheel. Centering the wheel depends upon the close fit between the
wheel studs & the holes in the wheels. Over time, the fit becomes looser
than one would like, & while the tire & wheel combo may be balanced, the
wheels are probably not centered on the hubs, & the result is the same
as if the wheels were out of balance.  Many aftermarket wheels are made
this way also. If this is the problem, e-mail me off list, as I do have
a simple solution.

Jim Stuart
victim of V8 madness