Re: 5 speeds fo Bs

To: miker15@juno.com
Subject: Re: 5 speeds fo Bs
From: "Christopher G. Moog" <cgmoog@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 21:46:43 -0400
> this could be interesting - theres a lot of orphan XR4s rotting away over
> here (the U.S.) that people dont seem to be able to give away - and my
> guess is that theres a stock of replacement boxes lying about at
> mercury.... if anyone finds out how much this housing costs, please post
> it to the list  - i smell cottage industry!!!!
>
> mike robson
> 69 roadster
> 70 BGT
> 72 roadster

The Merkurs eat those boxes (Ford recommended sythentic 90wt to handle
the stress).  Many (myself included) have converted to T5s (in the
Merkur).  The original Merkur box would work well in a MGB (if it could
be made to fit)  I believe that 4 cylinder Rangers use the same box (and
possibly Aerostar 5-speeds).  If the kit works with these it should also
work with T-5s from 4 cylinder Mustangs (same bolt pattern, different
input spline, different output spline but these could be taken care of
by using a different clutch and the front yoke from the 4-cyl. Mustang).