Watch out for falling wallets!

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Watch out for falling wallets!
From: Carol <car@intersatx.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 19:58:37 -0500
Just thought I'd share a story that could have come true...

My '86 Fleetwood Brougham has developed a rough idle, so... I thought since
it turned 100K last week and hasn't had a tune up that I know of since it
was purchased in 1992 (I inherited the car, thank you, God! I need a
battlewagon for the San Antonio freeways). I replaced the plugs with Bosch
Platinums (properly gapped) in November, 97. Still rough.

The carbs on those cars SCARE me.... too expensive for me to use my
inexpertise on. So, I pulled out a Goodyear mailer coupon for a tuneup for
$49.95 and made an appointment. (No horror story yet.) The 'special' read
"12-month or 12,000 mile warranty" and I figured that was worth something.
Temporary fix.

I should also mention that the "Check Engine" light comes on most of the
time. The code has consistently been "21" WOT (Wide Open Throttle) switch
or TPS (Throttle Positioning Switch). I have the Haynes Manual and the
"key" that I got for $2 at the parts place to read the codes shows the "21"
code. .

I called for an appointment and told the speaker that I didn't need plugs
because they were pretty new. He said "Well, then you don't need a tune-up.
Changing the plugs is pretty much the tune-up." I almost dropped the phone.
I asked about timing, carb adjustments. He just skimmed over that. So what
IS a tune-up these days?

I showed up at the Goodyear place. The manager INSISTED that they had to
put the car on the 'computer'. I said no. I don't want to spend $50 on
that. The code is 21. "How do you know that?" Well, you can use a paper
clip to find out. (Although I used my 'key'.) "WELL. You probably burned up
that computer module and that's why you're getting that code." Say what!
Yep. They probably had visions of BIG sugarplums over that thought....new
ECM.

We finally agreed that they would "visually" diagnose the problems, and
that it would take "at least" 30 minutes and would cost $30 since their
labor rate is $60/hr. I said fine. Go for it. I needed some sort of
opinion, and I don't have a real mechanic anymore. It was only 102 degrees
here on Friday, so I waltzed outside with some cold water in my muglet and
watched the doin's. My watch showed only 14 minutes elapsed time for the
entire diagnosis.  They used some type of gizmo that was the size of a car
radio. I saw the mechanic using a book and changing some plugs around on
the instrument, although I never did see it up close.

Manager Barnes called me aside and SHOWED me the bad distributor cap, bad
fuel filter and dirty air filter (air filter was still almost white! I
changed it about 2k miles back), horrible 'spots' on the plug wires
(what??!! We just checked them out with spray, etc. in November) "They're
arcing from those spots. Arcing is when the electric current finds the path
of least resistance and leaks out of the wire." or something equally inane
explanation. I told him they were fine in November. "How do you know that?"
Because  a friend of mine is a mechanic. "Some mechanic if he missed those
plug wires." Well, he's a certified GM mechanic. This is a GM car. You're a
Goodyear store. We tested the wires with the old mist method. (I don't
think that went over too well, but he kept his cool.) Then we looked at the
Throttle Positioning Switch TPS) -- he wasn't sure where it was. "It's
somewhere in the carburetor."  When he went to call for parts prices, I
studied the Haynes manual more thoroughly. I know where the part goes! He
still doesn't.

Oh, and he also told me that there was a code showing up that means the O2
sensor is bad.

I had already figured that the TPS needed to be tended to. Book says
'adjust or replace". Goodyear manager Jason Barnes says "replace." Natch!

Once he had the prices in hand, we had a heart to heart. He told me of all
the "horrible" things wrong with the car, and told me the prices of the
parts and I just stared. I couldn't believe it! The plug wires' price was
the spice of my day! $129. [I'm going for a career change! I'm going to
build plug wires and sell them to Goodyear!]

I politely told him that there was no way I could afford $500 (WAG) for all
that stuff. Put it back together. The car's been idling roughly off and on
for 8 months. I'll worry about it tomorrow. [I'm not about to pay them to
do anything! Dealer rates are lower than that!]

Then he went outside to look at another potential sucker's car and goofed
big time. He left that estimate on the counter. I whipped out my pen and
grabbed one of his business cards and wrote down the estimate, part by part.

When he came back in, he said "You sure need to get that fixed." I thanked
him, and told him that the parts alone were about 1/4 the price of an MGB.
gave him the $30 'estimate fee' that I had agreed to and I left. [His
comment: "What's an MGB?"]

Read it and weep....

Air Horn Gasket                   4.75
Air & Fuel Filters               21.16
Dist. Cap and Rotor              73.58
TPS                              58.63
 (Throttle Positioning Switch)
  labor to install                       78.00  1-1/3 hr at $60/hr ???
O2 Sensor                               (he forgot to ask for this price)

Hold on to your hats here!
Plug wires                      129.00
"Decarbonize" Carb                29.95

Which comes to:         395.07
  not including O2 sensor

So I went to Parts America on the way home...

Air Horn Gasket                 ------  can't get price tonight
Air Filter                         3.99 (unless on sale)
Fuel Filter                        1.99 (I already have one in my stash)
Rotor and Dist cap                17.98 (kit with brass instead of aluminum
                                        or $12 for the cheaper version)
TPS                               19.99 (OEM)
O2 Sensor                         22.99
Plug wires                        24.99

   Which totals:                          91.93
   Not including the $78 that Goodyear was going to charge for labor to
install the TPS switch.

And all I think it really needs is that throttle switch and gasket. Who do
we trust anymore? I trust Riata Cadillac and will take the car to them for
the switch replacement.

Just thought I'd share. That computer diagnosis on an older car is a BIG
source of income for those places. $50 for nothing...  :-(  And some call
me cynical.

Thanks for listening...

Carol

...now running Windows '98, better known as "MacIntosh '87 "