Re: ??Replacing front disks on'62 MGA questions

To: baldycotton@pop.mindspring.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: ??Replacing front disks on'62 MGA questions
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 12:50:58
At 11:34 AM 8/6/98 -0400, baldycotton@pop.mindspring.com wrote:

>I'm replacing the front discs on my '62 MGA. .... The manuals show a
special tool required, 18G363, for removing the front hubs. (I have wire
wheels.)

>Does anyone know where this tool is to be found? ....
>
>Can anyone help with further details as to how the work is done? ....

As usual this is another "special tool" that you don't need, because you
can easily adapt some standard tool to the task.  In this case that special
tool is a puller used to pull the splined hub from the bearing spindle.  It
has a large female threaded cup that screws on in place of the hub cap
(winged knock-off.  In the center of the large cup is a long threaded bolt
that bears against the end of the spindle.  Tightening the long bolt pulls
the cup and extracts the hub with the brake rotor still attached.

The task can also be accomplished with a commom slide hammer (a.k.a. dent
puller).  You can just screw the hub cap onto the hub and use a 2-jaw or
3-jaw puller to pull on the hub cap to extract the hub.  If you're worried
about damaging the chrome on the hub cap you should use a spare hub cap for
this task, and you will need two, one right and one left side with opposite
threads.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude