Collectors Insurance for LBCs

To: mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Collectors Insurance for LBCs
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 10:32:39 -0400
I don't want to beat this to death but I have not seen this discussed yet.
Since I have gotten my 77 Midget running I am starting shop for insurance.
Currently my Midget needs work.  It requires a new right front wing, paint,
carpet, seats, and a hood.  There are some minor dings and rust spots that
have to be removed.  Also the color now is a faded orange.  I called several
of the collectors insurance companies and this is what I found

        1.  Hagertys:  The car must be 25 years or older.  So they are out.
        2.  Grundy: Car must be restored.
        3.  American Collectors Insurance:  car must be worth 3K or more. They
            want a photo of the car.

Obviously my Midget is not yet restored and is not yet worth 3K.  Has anyone
found a company that offers collectors insurance for a car that is under
restoration and should be complete within 1 year?  Any advice would be
helpful.  If that fails I will just have to cough the $500-$600 for a second car
on my regular insurance policy.  The price of living in scenic New Jersey :-(

--
William M. Gilroy
77 Midget, now running, but idling fast