RE: too strong fuel pump=carb problems?

To: "'Don Walton'" <dhw@atomic.net>
Subject: RE: too strong fuel pump=carb problems?
From: "Unger, Larry G" <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 1998 12:31:03 -0400
Don Walton wrote:

> ...[snip]... I am going to break down and pay the cash for another SU
> pump which is very quiet.  If anyone has any insight into this please
> let me know and once again I thank the list.

Odds are that you can rebuild your original SU pump ... its rare that the
coil(the large cast iron lump) fails ... typically its the points and/or
diaphram.  You will probably find that the points are toast ... new SU
pumps are available with a diode that extends the life of the points ...
you should fit a diode as part of the rebuild.  The Haynes maunual
outlines the process for rebuilding the pump, but doesn't show the diode.

Points, diaphram, and gaskets are available from the major suppliers ...
... however, they don't seem to list the diode ... the diode, and all the
other bits your will require, are available from Joe Curto ...

Joe Curto, Inc.
22-09 126th Street
College, Point, N.Y.  11356

Phone:  718-762-SUSU (762-7878)