RE: hydrolic fluid

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: hydrolic fluid
From: "Andrew Errington" <ame@synaptics.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 12:39:31 -0700
Well, that would be the same as the correct hyraulic fluid for the brake
master cylinder.

The correct hydraulic fluid is whatever brake fluid you or the DPO used
before, but take care, the spec. of the fluid is DOT3.  DOT3 fluid is
available in the UK (where MGs are from) and in the US, however THEY ARE NOT
THE SAME.  American DOT3 fluid will damage UK hydraulic components (there
has been a thread about this recently on the MG BBS).  Similarly silicone
fluid is being touted as a 'superior alternative' to conventional brake
fluid, which of course is not true, and will also damage brake components in
your MG and may cause the hydraulic systems to fail.

The most consistently recommended brake fluid for MG owners in the US is
Castrol LMA.  Use no other, and if you are unsure about what's been in there
previously then waste a whole bottle flushing through the system.  If you're
really worried then replace or service all the hydraulic components, e.g.
brake and clutch master, brake calipers (front), slave cylinders (rear) and
clutch slave, there's not many parts to the system, but they can be a pig to
do.

Use Castrol LMA consistently, and remember, when flushing/bleeding the
system place a block of wood behind the pedals so they don't go all the way
to the floor (a random precaution, but valid for many older MGs).

Andy
--
'69 Roadster