Re: Battling the 'B II - The SU's Strike Back

To: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Subject: Re: Battling the 'B II - The SU's Strike Back
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 02:09:33 -0400
Mike Lishego wrote:
> My question concerns the metal pipe that
> forms what looks like a "handle", running from one carb to another.  There
> is a "T" connection over the rear carb, and that's where the problem lies.
> What exactly is this metal pipe?

  There are two, the other is the fuel line though. I think you know
that one!

> My guess is that it's the fuel overflow
> pipe?

  Yes, but it's also the float bowl vent line.

  It has to be open, because as the levels change in the
float bowls, air has to be vented out there. Since the
air is fuel-vapour rich it originally goes to the carbon
cannister so the fuel can be burned later rather than
released into the air.

> Without thinking, I ran the pipe to the
> intake manifold.  Then, the car wouldn't start.  Had I caused a "vacuum
> lock" of sorts to foul up the carbs?

  The vacuum either sucked gas into the manifold directly, or more
likely created a vacuum in the float bowl so no fuel made it
into the jet at all.

> Should I plug the pipe, leave it in the intake,
> or leave it open?

  If you have no carbon canister, or don't feel like
making one (cheap) or purchasing one, venting it to
the outside will make the car run. However, to be
safe, you need vent pipes, since occasionally fuel
drips out of there and you don't want raw fuel falling
onto the hot exhaust manifold.

  It's probably just as easy to hook it up as original. This
is one of those emission items that are easy to maintain,
cost no power, and really do work. You actually save fuel
occasionally. I can understand people converting to big
carbs and letting the emissions go because the differences
are noticeable, but this one is free.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/