Re: Calipers, 71 MGB/ Lubrication

To: BobMGT@aol.com
Subject: Re: Calipers, 71 MGB/ Lubrication
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 20:30:55 EDT
Hi Bob,
  In defense of the DPO of your TD, that fitting is not mentioned in
either my TD owner manual or in the workshop manual.  Apparently that
grease fitting is on the US export cars only. Fortunately, my father
found out about it when the car was new, and it has been included in the
lube schedule.
  Last year, when I was filling and re-drilling all the clevis pin holes
in the clutch linkage, I thought to replace the bushings on the pedals.
It was an unpleasant job.  Baffled, at one point, I called John Twist. He
advised just leaving the job until such time as the body was to come off
anyway, then told me how it could be done. It can be done with the body
in place....but it's hard, and it turned out that the bushings were
probably good for another 40 years or so. That's what can be called a
learning experience.
  We could do a good deed for all TD owners by asking if they know about
this little fitting, tucked up under the fender, kept secret from many by
MOWOG himself.
  As to other places that might need lubrication and get overlooked,  a
useful tip in a recent Sacred Octagon was to oil the generator bushing
felt. I did that, though I left the grease that was in the hole there
too. Chip Olds gave a good list of lube points in the T-Series Handbook.
If anyone needs that, I'll type it and send it out to the list. I'm sure
Chip won't mind, as long as only members of the T-Register read it.
Bob