Oil filter for MGB

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Oil filter for MGB
From: stuart farmer <k7wf@kalama.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 08:50:05 -0700
Greetings list members and readers.
I've been seeing a number of questions, and some answers, about oil filters
for our LBC's lately. I thought that my experience might be of some help.

I have a 1979 MGB Tourer and have been religious about oil & filter changes
every 2,000 miles, or six month intervals. My car has a normal oil pressure
of 55 Lbs and stays there regardless of temperature or RPM.  I have been
using Castrol 20-50 with a Fram Extra Guard PH-43 filter.

When starting from cold, I noticed that the oil pressure was zero for about
five seconds, and didn't reach 55 Lbs until nine seconds had elapsed.
I decided to change oil and filter, again using Castrol 20-50, but this time
I used a different filter. I installed a NAPA GOLD 1068 and the difference was
immediately apparent.  Now, on cold start-up the oil pressure is immediate,
and two seconds later is at the normal( for my car) 55 Lbs.

As a result of this finding, I will use the NAPA filter in my LBC.

On another note, today I am taking members of the Willamette MG Club on a
tour of the volcano, Mount St.Helens. We are expecting 12 to 14 MG's for
this little event and praying that the weather will be the same as it has
been for the past 30 days (sunny and clear) so that we may have a good
view.  The Willamette MG Club is based in the Portland Oregon area which
is 50 miles South of my City (Longview WA). The volcano is 30 miles East
of Longview and is reached by taking Rt.504 off Interstate 5. There are
three visitor centers on the way and we will be stopping at each one and
will have lunch at one of them. This evening we will all meet for dinner
so it will be a full day, and hopefully an enjoyable one for all.

Cheerio, Stuart....'79MGB (with the top down).
Stuart Farmer