PA Inspection (kinda long)

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: PA Inspection (kinda long)
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 07:16:27 -0400
Good Morning All!!

I'm sitting at the computer this AM, hoping it won't rain all day,
because I got the Midget back from the State Inspection late last night.
I spent last weekend tuning, tightening etc to get the the old green girl
ready. (See last weekends posts about points) Well as I was butting
everything up Sunday evening I happened to move the lower rad hose a
little too much and the alternator fan put a hole in it. Now this
happened for two reasons,
1) last year, prior to the Skyline trip I need a new hose at the last
minute. I got one of those flex hoses from a local parts store. Ya know
one of those with the ribs. Well it was a little close to the alt fan,
but that was OK because there is a little metal guard over the fan.
2) Well while replacing the alt on the Skyline trip, I broke the little
metal guard (any one have a spare, Moss and VB don't show them). So over
time the alt fan was wearing on the hose. It wasn't real obvious until I
pushed one last time into the alt fan and got a good spray of hot coolant
in the face.
I ordered one of the "real" ones last week and put it in yesterday AM,
then called a few place to see if I could get it in on a Saturday. I
wanted it done this weekend so I would have time to do any retuning of
fixing before next Sunday and the Lanco's Taste of Britain MG show and
Polo Match in Lancaster PA (anyone going?). As well as time to get it
straightened out before the end of the month expiration.
Took to car over about 11:45 AM. Called 'em up about 4 PM to check and
they hadn't started, oh well they are open until 8. About 7 I called and
they had just started. About 7:15 they called and asked how to get the
wheels off to check the brakes, I said look in trunk, get wrench and
hammer and look on knockoffs for direction, Now I'm getting nervous.
About 5 min later they call and ask how to open the trunk. Now I'm real
nervous. They get it open while I'm on the phone. I decide to go over -
In Case. Before I get out the door, they call and ask "How do I get the
Hubcaps off?" My Response - "I'll be right there".
Get over there and get the wrench and hammer and smack the knock offs
off. The Service Writer comes over and says "Oh I didn't want to hit that
had because I didn't want to break it."
Whew, "I appreciate that"
They check the brakes and it's done. Passed Safety!
I ask about Emissions. He says he checked the computer and the car has
4,668 miles since last inspection. In PA less than 5000 miles - EXEMPT!!
$9.99 for Exempt Sticker ($45 for inspection). I wanted the emissions
checked to see how they were but he says I have to pay and blow the
exempt if it won't pass. OK No check.
Now I'm good to go for another year. Since I'm not going to Vancouver I
should be OK this year, but MG2000 and Cleveland??

See ya on the roads

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Manager/Administrator
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for windows or
gates?