Re: MGA Carb set up

To: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Subject: Re: MGA Carb set up
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 07:37:09 -0400
Barney Gaylord wrote:

(snip)

> There is a balance tube in the intake manifold that allows all cylinders to
> share the intake from the carburetors at slow speeds.  Because of this, if
> one carb starts out running very rich , you will at first be adjusting the
> other one quite lean to get the best idle, but even then 2 cylinders will
> run rich and 2 will rich lean.  It may take a few itteretions of switching
> back and forth between the carbs before you finally get them both with the
> same otimum mixture.
>
> With the method in the MGA manual, you disable (completely close) one carb
> while adjusting the other, so you can get the mixture correct with the
> first adjustment, just like as if it was a single carburetor engine.  This
> is particilarly helpful if the carbs are pretty far away from the correct
> mixture to start with, such as if you are firing it up for the first time
> after having just rebuilt the carbs.
>
> Barney Gaylord
> 1958 MGA with an attitude

Barney,

Thanks for the response - well reasoned and spoken, as always!  You
know, after I sent my original message I thought about the situation a
bit more and came up with the same reasoning that you have stated.  This
will be particularly helpful when "starting from scratch" as I will be.
And I've been down that road with one carb too rich and one too lean.
This is actually a pretty elegant way to get both carbs properly tuned
for mixture, before going through the flow balancing process.

Thanks again!

--
*Bill Schooler      *Check the MGCC Wash DC Centre Web Page
*Woodbridge, VA     *http://members.aol.com/mgccwdcc/