Re: Winter Prep Work

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Winter Prep Work
From: Rich Mason <rmason@ro.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 15:33:11 -0500
At 03:50 PM 8/18/98 -0400, Trevor Boicey wrote:

>  Usually when I see somebody suggesting they drive the car
>all winter, they live in one of those states where winter
>means a sweater and a once a year dusting of snow causing
>100 car pileups.

Sounds just like winters in North Alabama. Well - it gets down into the
teens a few times - but we seldom get snow.  This is the only place I've
ever heard of that cancels schools because of PREDICTED snow storms.

The reason that a dusting causes 100 car pileups is so many here have never
driven in snow and they all want to test out their 4x4's or all wheel drives
which accelerate pretty well, but don't stop worth a darn.

As far as the original question for winter storage preparation - a few
things come to mind:

1) Get the car up to temperature and do an oil change.
2) Add fuel stabilizer and fill the tank to prevent condensation.
3) Make sure you have a suitable mix of anti-freeze in the cooling system.
This is also a good time to do a drain and flush.
4) Disconnect the battery and charge it.  If you have a trickle or float
charger to keep it topped off - that's better, but don't leave it connected
to the car as gremlins will find ways to excorcise the smoke from some of
your Lucas components when you're not home to extinguish the flames.  :)
5) If you're lucky - you'll have garage space to keep it out of the
elements.  A cover to keep the dust down will save some clean-up in the
spring.  If you're unlucky - and have to store it outside - well - I'm not
sure what covers are better - as I've been lucky.  :)

Regards,

Rich Mason
'73 MGB
Madison, AL