Z-S o-ring

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Z-S o-ring
From: Speedo79@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 03:32:58 EDT
To all of those with Z-S carbs:

The o ring is in the needle adjustment screw inside the piston.  To get to it,
remove the piston from the carb, back out the needle locking screw (#11 in the
moss catalog's diagram), and use a (I believe) 3/16" allen wrench through the
top of the piston to back the needle out (Moss offers a mixture adjustment
tool that does the same thing), then use a drift, or flat end of a drill to
punch the adjusting screw out the top of the piston...it should come out with
little force, along with a star retaining clip (#4) ...the o-ring is Moss #
365-420, and is also included in the Z-S rebuild kit for the 175 CD carb, and
is best removed from the adjusting screw (carefully) with a razor blade... use
a little bit of all purpose grease on the o-ring before seating the adjusting
screw.
 (side note: if your o-ring is bad, chances are your carb is ripe for a
rebuild)

I rebuild ZS and SU carbs for a small parts store, and can usually answer most
questions about them...You would be surprised what other "mass rebuilders" do
to carbs, smog pumps, fans, and alternators, and call them "Rebuilt"!  I have
gotten quite a few smog pumps that were "rebuilt" only to find the allen head
screws stripped, and the graphite vanes missing altogether!!!

Sincerely,
Steve Sanchez
"Under the hood in a '77 'B"