Fixing a 77B

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Fixing a 77B
From: "Walt" <waltcpa@sierra.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 09:19:33 -0700
Hello all,

I purchased a 77B for my 17 YO daughter in June (her initials are MG, so
this is her dream car) and thought the car was in pretty good shape, but
maybe I should have checked more.  My only other experience with LBC’s was
a TR4A beater back in 69, so I am not well prepared for correcting the
“fixes” or lack thereof perpetrated on this vehicle by previous owners.  My
two major problems for the moment are:

1)  The entire emission control system has been removed/plugged/cut and a
Weber DGV carb installed.  However, the stock exhaust manifold was not
replaced, so I ordered the 2" exhaust system with header from VB (know
better than to order there now).  After 2 hokurs of work to install, the
center pipe of the header rubs on the steering column!  Any suggestions on
how to fix the rub (no pun intended)?  And any suggestions about what to
make sure was done on the emission removal would be appreciated.

2) The header rail and the windshield top rail do not fit together by about
½ inch on both ends.  The seal seems new and the top appears new, but when
latched the last 2 to 3 inches on both ends do not touch and the end gap is
the ½ inch mentioned.  Is there some other seal needed?  Maybe the wrong
header?  I’m lost.

Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide and you will undoubtedly hear
more from me as the work progresses.

Walt Goddard