Re: engine dies

To: Arts Council <artscape@clas.net>
Subject: Re: engine dies
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 21:49:51 -0700
Arts Council wrote:

> I have a 1971 MGB, that until now has been a good runner. Recently it
> started dying when left to idle for more than a few minutes and
> occasionally (once or twice a day!) dying when reaching speeds in excess of
> around 50 mph. I can always restart the car immediately, but I don't know
> how long my luck will hold out. I replaced the fuel filter, but that didn't
> help.  I have had suggestions including, the coil, the fuel pump, or even
> just the ground. Please help!!!!!!! It is my daily driver. And I don't want
> to replace everything until I get it right.
>
> Thank you,
> Daniel North
> 71 MGB, BRG (owned for 5 months)

Sounds like the ignition, I had a similar problem with one of those
coils the spade terminals are RIVETTED on. The terminal worked loose
with vibration over the years, and by accident I touched it one day and
the engine died. With the wires off, you could spin it like a propellor.
I renewed the coil, .....Well, I had renewed almost everything else
trying to find the fault!!!

Neil