Re: Block Stampings

To: borisri@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Block Stampings
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 07:26:39 -0700
Richard A. Boris wrote:

> Hi Neil:
>
> Read your thread regarding piston grading and have a few questions. I am
> planning a rebuild of a 1966 MGB 18GB block. The bores on the thrust
> side are about 0.0015 above nonimal. The block has a diamond 2 stamping,
> and the original pistons are marked the same. Several years ago I picked
> up some NOS AE PEP style standard pistons. The question is what
> relationship do the PEP pistons have to the graded pistons? The
> documentation received in the piston box states that these pistons are
> for worn bores. Are these pistons oversized and by how much?
>
>                                                         Any help will be
>appreciated, Thanks:
>                                                                 Rich Boris,
>67 B Roadster

Good greif, I never though my ditty would attrack so much mail!!!!

Your new pistons need measuring and the worn bores HONING to suit the
new size. This is not a rebore, but a cleaning up of the bore, best done
by a machine shop with things like internal micrometers to check for
ovality, etc.

It would be a little risky just fitting them without doing any checks.
You could seize up solid.

Neil.