Taste Of Britian

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Taste Of Britian
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 13:40:10 -0400
Hello all.
I just wanted to give a lil' ol' report on Sunday's Brit show by the
Lanco MG Club.
Met up w/ Dr. Doug about 10:15 for the hour drive over to the Lancaster
area. He had his 2 yr old son "Dougie" (How original :-) ) and I had my
14 yr old daughter, Stefanie (Stress-a-me). This year we took I-76 west
to Lancaster as last year the back roads took about 2.5 - 3hrs to get
there. Cruised along about 75 for most of the trip. Got to the grounds
about 11:30 and ended up in the middle of the second row. Noe this show
is an All Brit iron show so there was plenty of variety. Quite a few CBBs
RBB's a couple CB Midgets and RB Midgets. Some T series, even a couple w
RHD. Then the collection of Triumphs 2,3,4,6's and the odd 8. Even a TR
4-Door Sedan (forgot what it was called). Some Lotii, including a early
60's MkVI, the kit car. Done in all Stainless Steel with fully enclosed
rear fenders and a swooping front fender that looked like it was modeled
off a MB 300SK. A Rover 3500, and miscellaneous Jags. There was even a
DeLoren there that my daughter recognized from the movie, but he left
early and parked out in the Big Other Cars lot (think he got ran off 'cuz
he was Irish?).

My personal favorite was a CB Midget pulling a trailer made out of two
boot (trunk) sections of midgets. It looked as if 2 Midgets had a
collision and just wiped each other out to the rear axle. It had chrome
rear bumpers on the front and back and 4 tail lights at each corner. The
guy said he had a hell of a time with PA DOT getting the thing licensed
'cuz of the tail lights on the front of the trailer as well as the gas
caps on a trailer. He had to prove there was no fuel carrying ability on
a trailer. All of the welding etc. he did himself and it was a very good
job to my eye. I though about the same idea once before but the big RB's
would be a lot of weight to haul.

Got to see som old regulars at the meet and some new faces. Steve
Trittle, who thought 95 miles was a little much for his T on such a hot
day. (He saw my list hat and said "lemme see your hat!!"), Bruce Bubeck,
who, as part of the Lanco Club, spent most of the day at the registration
booth. (Near which were parked 2 new Porsche Boxters, nice, for the
money).

The day itself was rather Hot and Humid. We spent some time watching the
Polo Match in the shade of a Maple. We were told that, if the person that
had the space reserved showed we would have to move. So to anyone who
asked, Dr. Doug became "Doline" (just call for Doo).
The Polo Match was fun, but the visitors were clearly the better team.
Lancaster had a two point handicap at the start and when we left after
the 5th Chukker it was 12 - 7 for the visitors. Please don't ask about
the rules!! Maybe MikeR or Phil Raby, but not me!!

The cruise home was just as nice as the cruise down. The Midget ran
great, except it was a little on the hot side of the temp gauge. I had no
problems with it starting when hot this trip either (I moved the fuel
lines to see if vapor lock was the problem - we'll see). I need to get
one of those Temp/Oil Press gauges from a 75/77 Midget instead of the
dumb C(blue spot) to H(red spot) gauge and an idiot light for the oil.
(Anybody got a spare??)

Enuff for now.

Oh Yes KUDOS to the Lanco MG Club for another great show!! I enjoyed
especially seeing some of the oddball cars which you don't see when you
go to an all MG show.

Larry Macy
78 Midget (Now all nice and shiny after David D started it - I had to
finish it)

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Administrator/Manager