SU pump interchange

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: SU pump interchange
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 11:08:55 -0500
I picked up an SU fuel pump this weekend.  It is, I believe, a middle year
MGB pump as far as I can tell.  Key features include:

Square shaped body but not the huge square body used on Twin Cams.

Fuel connections by two elbows on the same side of the pump- one (inlet?)
threaded and one (outlet?) with a braided hose attached.

A sealed air chamber for "fuel pressure stabilization?" on one side.  This
chamber has a rubber ring inside and a clear, concave, film covering the
hole.

A large pressed steel conical cover on one side with a single screw through
the middle and a cork gasket underneath.  There is nothing under this cover
except space.

A twin contact set of point protected by a .47 microfarad capacitor with no
obvious polarity markings.

Green SU non- tamper tape and a single spade connector on the terminal.

Can I put this on the A?  How much work will it be? (mounting brackets,
fuel line attachment, etc.)  The points were ugly but once cleaned, the
pump kind of ran and pushed air out the attached fuel line.  The points
spark like crazy when it runs.   I presently have a Facet pump and the
noise is driving me nuts.  The installation was, thankfully, poorly done as
all of the original mounting plates and fuel fittings are still attached.

Any input will be appreciated.  I miss joining in on the "my fuel pump left
me stranded" threads.

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA looking to rediscover her fuel pump roots, as it were