MGB Timing

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGB Timing
From: "Jesse Robinson" <jesserobinson@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 12:33:01 PDT
I have a 1970 MGB currently with a Weber downdraft carb, and all
emissions removed, holes pluged, crankcase vented etc...(I'm in the
process of rebuilding the SU's to get the engine back to original).  It
is coughing around 2,000 rpms or so.  Adjusting the mixture screw has
helped but it is still not right.  Sounds almost like it is flooding a
little.  I went to adjust the timing but have found conflicting info.
Owners manual says, "20 degrees BTDC at 2,000 rpms", my original
workshop manual says, "14 degrees BTDC at 600 rpms"!

Does anyone have any info on tuning MG's.  Perhaps a book which could
explain it A to Z.  Very interested in doing this as correctly and
precisely as possible.

Jesse Robinson
Chicago, IL
jesserobinson@hotmail.com