Mystery electrical part and wire - 1980 MGB

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Mystery electrical part and wire - 1980 MGB
From: Steve Shoyer <steve@shoyer.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 23:46:20 -0400
I just finished replacing the main and dash wiring harnesses on my 1980 MGB
and have two questions:

1) There is what I believe to be a thermal cut-off switch for the cooling
fans that needs to be replaced.  The wiring harness has provisions for it,
and I've seen it on other cars, but I don't see it in any parts catalog or
schematic (both the Haynes and Bentley manuals refer to an in-line fuse for
that purpose).  Where can I get one?

2) There's a brown/purple wire that appears to do nothing and is not
connected to anything.  It ends with a connector near the fuse box, but
nothing to connect to.  It is shown in the schematics being connected to a
brown wire somewhere, running around, and then just stopping without being
attached to anything.  Does this make sense?

Thanks.

--Steve