'73B Front caliper dragging

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: '73B Front caliper dragging
From: Rich Mason <rmason@ro.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 13:27:09 -0500
Hi all-

I just recently (3 weeks ago) did a complete rebuild of all the hydraulics
(brake and clutch). This morning while pulling into the parking lot at work,
the front left caliper was dragging.  The wheel is noticeably darker (from
brake dust) and the wheel was hot to the touch.  A small amount of smoke
(non-electrical) came out after stopping.

The only thing I can figure is that the front caliper isn't releasing
completely as the hoses are 1 year old  stainless braided hoses.  I have
seen references to adjusting for free pedal play.  The only adjustment I
have is on the switch mounted to the pedal box cover, which as best I can
tell does nothing for pedal free play but only how soon the brake lights
come on.

Am I missing something here?  Also - is there a preferred caliper assembly
lube (other than brake fluid)?

Thanks,

Rich Mason
'73 MGB