32? 60? $1.00? Postage... No MG meaning

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 32? 60? $1.00? Postage... No MG meaning
From: MGMagnette@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 22:22:23 EDT
"Clarification" of the postage issue: (Note: Run-on sentances are just here
for fun)
  USPS web site tells people that it costs $1.00 to send something overseas
that normally would cost 32 cents here so people don't accidentally not put on
enough postage but if you want to send half an ounce, which is half of what
you can send for 32 cents, you can do it for only 60 cents which ofcourse
isn't half of a dollar, but if you only have half a dollar and need something
to go to England, well then you'd better be sending a postcard because they
are only fifty cents.  MAKE SENSE?  Well, add this to your memory bank... if
the letter is a little too tall but not very wide or a little too wide without
being too tall, you have to add 11 cents to whatever the normal postage would
be or if its just too damn tall you go to the next rate, like say 60 cents to
$1.00 or 32 to 55 cents same goes for being too damn wide.    If it's too
small you just can't send it at all.  GET THAT?
   Well if you did I'm quite astounded.  And don't say the post office doesn't
enforce this rule!  You would'nt believe the number of would-be-brides that
come to our post office with thier fancy square-ish wedding invitations that
are, ofcourse, well under one ounce but not within the dimensional guidelines
and were returned for 11cents more postage.  Hundreds of professionally
calligraphed envelopes, all stamped in bloody red ink "Returned for
insufficient postage".  The USPS prevents divorce by ending weddings
altogether.
  Another postal anacronism is the "letter on a standard rate package" rule.
Lets say you want to send a package from Bedford NH 03110 to Los Angeles CA,
90036?  Well you put an envelope on the outside, even with nothing in it, as a
mailing label on the outside?  Very common, but it just cost you 32 cents.
First class is cheaper than third?  Not in this case.  First class/Priority?
$3.00  Third Class?  $3.27!  It's 2.95 for the package, but you have to put 32
cents on that envelope you used as a mailing label.  You don't have to add the
stamp when it's first class!  But send the same damn package from Bedford NH
03110 to Maplewood NJ  07040 it's only something like 2.46 standard even with
the extra 32 cents!
  Conclusion?  1) don't belive what the postal clerk tells you because even he
gets this shit wrong.  (I train new clerk at our rural station and they say
"DUH?")  2) don't tape a letter to the outside of a package...  it costs extra
if it's outside but free if you put it in  3) When in doubt an extra few
stamps don't hurt especially when the wedding is next week.  4) Violating any
postal regulations, including archaic inane stupid rule is a VERY SERIOUS
OFFENSE.

   Any Questions?

    John

 Jaguar XJ-S V-12