Re: TD vibration

To: Dave Houser <mgs4dave@warwick.net>
Subject: Re: TD vibration
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 07:11:42 -0700
Dave Houser wrote:

> Noticed a vibration somewhere in the driveline of my TD. You feel it at
> idle, revving the engine, in the seat of the pants. It seems as if it's
> in the frame. I believe it was there before the cam replacement, I just
> wasn't paying all that much attention. Now that the car's power has been
> restored and throttle response is so much better(minus one
> throttle-return spring), I am more aware of it. Any ideas?
> I replaced the front motor mount, too.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave Houser

Exhaust touch point on the chassis,
spiggot bearing worn allowing the clutch plate to run off-centre,
worn bearings in the gearbox,
fan blade missing, ( once saw one that had gone up INTO the bonnet after
shearing off...)
Water pump bearings worn,( rock the fan...expensive,)
First signs of worn main bearings.....is the oil pressure good with a
very hot engine, at idle?

You say you have fitted a new engine mounting? Often the modern rubber
is very HARD, and simply transmits more vibration, very true of the
front one. The old rubber was probably very soggy, absorbing it.

Is the gearbox sitting on its cross-tube, again touching the chassis?
New mountings needed if so.

Is the gearbox steady still there? A tiny eye-bolt facing down, with a
nut, a steel cup, and a RUBBER WASHER, to stop the gearbox lifting.

Neil.