Another MGA has come to life....

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Another MGA has come to life....
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 1998 18:27:28 -0400
Listers,

After a long period of rest, another MGA has come to life.  The '60 MGA
that I purchased a few months ago has been restored to running status.
Before I attempted to start the engine, I redid the hydraulics, replaced
the fuel pump, and attended to a few other minor items, including
removal of an enormous amount of mouse dung.

This car was about 95% restored by the previous owner (who will always
be respected in my mind...RPO?) before he became ill and had to stop
work on the car.  It had been in covered, dry storage for 12 years when
I was lucky enough to purchase it.

When all was ready, I put a couple of gallons in the tank, inspected for
leaks (none) and turned on the ignition.  (I had already cranked it over
with the plugs out to get the oil pressure up.)  The new fuel pump
immediately filled up the rebuilt carb float bowls with no overflow.
After the pump stopped clicking, I hit the ignition.  No luck for the
first few cranks, then a sputter.  Repeated attempts brought forth
additional signs of life.  Finally, it caught and began to run.  Mind
you, this was on the initial carb settings of 6 flats down after a
rebuild.

After a short period of backfiring and spitting, the engine evened out
and ran beautifully.  (This is a Gold Seal 1500 engine with an unknown
amount of mileage on it.  Suspect it is very low, however.)  Played with
the carbs a bit and adjusted the air flow.  It was running so well, I
decided against any further mucking about with the SUs and took it out
for a test drive.  Had a smooth clutch and solid brakes.  Rngine ran
strong.

After messing about with a "B" for many years, I have to say that this
car is FUN!  Not that I don't appreciate the smoothness and civility
that the B provides, but this little roadster is a hoot.  I am amazed
that so many of the systems in this car function properly.  The clutch
and transmission seem flawless, there are no unusual noises being
produced, and the engine is strong, strong, strong!  I didn't expect
that from the 1500cc version.  This thing ought to be really fun when I
get the proper 1600 block in it, coupled with a factory B competion head
that I have stashed away.

Pictures will appear on the MGCCWDCC web page - I'll advise when
available.

Eat your hearts out!  ;>)

--
*Bill Schooler      *Check the MGCC Wash DC Centre Web Page
*Woodbridge, VA     *http://members.aol.com/mgccwdcc/