MGB Brake System Update

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MGB Brake System Update
From: "Kroeger, Fred" <Fred.Kroeger@msfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 08:27:23 -0500
Well, things are going slowly. I had hoped to get a lot done over the 3 day
weekend, but the wife had to work and I had baby duty. Anyway, I got to work
on the car for a few hours each evening. I now have brake lines to both
front wheels and across the rear axle. I still have to cut the bubble flares
off the lines at the front wheels and flare the ends (trivial). I also have
to finish running the line from the MC to the rear axle (not so trivial).
The bubble flare kit I bought from J C Whitney seems to work just fine. It
makes nice clean flares. I found that a little oil in the forming cup seems
to help a lot. Just remember to clean the lines off real well. I practiced
on an extra piece of line before trying the real thing since I have never
done a bubble flare before and found that the tool is fairly forgiving. I
went to great pains to prepare the tube ends and tried some that were not so
well prepared and they all turned out looking great. I plan to double flare
the ends of the lines that connect to the front wheels. I was real surprized
that the line forming went as well as it did. It is not perfect, but
everything lines up real well and looks professional. It really surprized me
as I have not done anything like this in over 20 years. Forming the lines
across the rear axle seemed to be more complicated that doing the ones in
the engine bay. Lots of bends close together. So, I hope to finish up the
lines this week and be ready to bleed the system. I do have a question about
the electrical system though. I put new taillight and reverse light lenses
on the car this weekend and in the process checked the turn signals. They
did not work. Where is the turn signal flasher unit on a 1980 MGB located? I
have a new flasher unit but do not see where it goes. I have not spent any
time tracing wires yet. I just looked under the dash and didn't see where it
would go. I can trace out the wires, but it would be helpful if someone
could tell me where to look. Is the hazard flasher the same flasher as the
turn signal flasher? There is a cylendrical looking unit under the dash and
also a small rectangular unit similar to the new flasher unit I got, but it
has the wrong gender contacts on it as compared to the new flasher unit.
Thats all for now.

Fred Kroeger
'80 MGB
'72 240Z