Re: Throw-out bearing

To: RJohn50603@aol.com
Subject: Re: Throw-out bearing
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 20:45:00 +0000
RJohn50603@aol.com wrote:

> I picked the old bearing up for another look 30 minutes later. Upon closer
> examination, what I found was bizzare! The two pivot ears on that old bearing
> were worn to less than half of their original diameter in the forward,
> rearward direction.

When the clutch failed on my roadster the release bearing ear on one side had
completely
worn away.  I replaced the clutch and fitted a roller bearing, both from the
MGOC, on the
principle that it must be better.  Then started seeing comments about premature
failure
and the extra kit, spoke to the MGOC who said they hadn't had any problems
reported.  As
Mandy said, "Well, they would, wouldn't they?".  Now about 15k and 5 years
later it has
started to 'witter' as the pedal takes up the slack, OK under pressure and
fully
released.

I certainly wouldn't use a roller bearing again, simply on the basis that it
cost quite
a bit more than the standard, which aren't that fault prone anyway (missing
ears
notwithstanding.

PaulH.