Re: MGB sheet metal

To: Casey Clark <casey_clark@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: MGB sheet metal
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 13:56:50 -0400
Casey Clark wrote:
> Does anyone have any opinions about the sheet metal offered by any of
> the mail order companies (i.e Moss, Victoria British, Motorhead, The
> Proper MG, Special Interest Carparts, etc)? I plan on ordering all of
> the metal myself and have retired friend of the family do the work (with
> my help.) Does any one company offer vastly superior metal or is all of
> the metal offered simialr in quality?  The only reason I am asking is I
> don't want to get stuck with some cheap-a**, thin metal that will rust
> quickly or fit incorrectly.

  There are two sources of sheetmetal. One is BL, the other
is steelcraft. Most places sell steelcraft, and from what I
have seen, either is acceptable.

  As for the "thin metal", well, it's all pretty thin
metal. I also have a Magnette, and it's made of tank
armour thick metal. With it, I'm afraid of some replacement
panels because they are "modern" thickness so are
much thinner. However, most MGB metal is pretty thin.

  I have some pics of freshly unpacked steelcraft panels
on my web site, go to the MGB restoration section. The
installation sequence is also in there.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, ICQ #17432933