Lime Rock Park / Skip Barber School

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Lime Rock Park / Skip Barber School
From: drded@ix.netcom.com (David Deutsch)
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:28:19 -0500 (CDT)
Hi Ho All,

Yesterday was the day! I FINALLY got to go to the Driving School. My
wife had bought the day for my 40th B-day, a little over a year ago.

It was a spectacular day which included morning sessions on "Skidpad"
to work on skid control in Dodge Ram Pick-ups with 13" 50 series tires
on them.  We also practiced "Thershold Braking" on the "Brake Pad" in
Dodge Neons (twin cam / 16 valves). They had us sharp braking with the
ABS and then disengaged and we work on braking w/o the ABS. The braking
distance was greatly decreased w/o the ABS. We also worked on finding
the best lines on tracks (and how it applies to everyday driving)in
order to maximize the result of your efforts. We used the Neons again
for this.

The afternoon brought out the 460 HP Vipers for some autocrossing on
the training tracks. It was an unbelievable feeling. A little friendly
competition, found your's truely, with the best lap time of the day. I
did have the advantage of having driven this particular training track
with my MG on an earlier date. The thing that amazed me was that I
bested my MG's fastest time by a full 6 seconds using the Vipers.

We had a team against team competition. My team lost on penalties even
though we had a full 8 second time finish over the other. As long as it
wasn't me who hit the cones, and it wasn't, I'm happy.

So all in all it was a great day which I highly recommend to any and
all.

The ride there and back was very nice as well and included a brief stop
at Mike Robson's residence. NICE RILEY!!! and the coffee wasn't bad
(for instant) either. :-)

Safety Fast,
David Deutsch