Brakes: Still Working on Them

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Brakes: Still Working on Them
From: "Kroeger, Fred" <Fred.Kroeger@msfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 08:10:15 -0500
It's been a long week. I got a lot of small stuff done and hope to have the
brake system completed this weekend. I still have one line left to form up.
It goes from the engine compartment to the rear axle. I crawled under the
car earlier this week and spent several hours scraping 18 years worth of
crud off the undercarraige. What a mess. The engine and tranny have
evidently been seeping oil for a long time and most of the bottom of the car
was covered with a thick gooey covering of sandy grease. I cleaned up about
a 1 foot wide swath where the new brake line will go and plan to take the
car to a local car wash after it is running and soak down with a degreaser
to try and get the rest of the crud out. I chased all the threads on the
body mounted bolts that hold the small support straps in place and
beadblasted and painted the straps. I also ran a tap through all the
associated nuts and derusted them with naval jelly. After cleaning up small
parts like this I give them a coat of clear laquer. So all I have left is to
form the line, install the springs on the rear brakes, and hook everything
up. I hope to have all this done and be ready to bleed the system by
tomorrow afternoon.

Fred Kroeger