Re: MGA body Removal

To: Kevin Richards <flybirds@erols.com>
Subject: Re: MGA body Removal
From: Vallely <vallely@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 20:58:27 -0400
Kevin Richards wrote:

> Listers...
> I am eagerly awaiting my original workshop manual for the MGA. I doubt
> if it covers the subject of body removal from the chassis.
> Is this something that "the original MGA" or a Restoration guide can
> tell me?
> Maybe the list can help??
> I am planning on separating the body from chassis this winter. Does this
> require engine/tranny removal?
> I know that I should repair/replace the sills prior to removing the body
> or I will experience the BENDS.
>
> Any other advice is appreciated.
> Scorn is not (ED).
>
> Kevin Richards

Kevin--
The manual will tell you where the bolts are, though you may have to
hunt some. The body lifts off easily once they're all unfastened (along
with the wiring, cables, hoses etc.)
The only real hard part is getting the bolts loose. They will probably
be solid rust--they were the only fasteners on my '59 I had to just give
up on and break off. I suggest you try hard to loosen and unscrew the
two on either side ahead of the doors, because they thread into the
frame, as do the six or so along the top of the "goal post" in the
engine compartment.  The two just ahead of the rear wheelwells thread
into nuts that are welded onto brackets that in turn are welded to the
body. The rest, those that thread into nuts, I'd simply go at with a
cold chissel. The worst were the two on either rear corner. I had to
remove the rear frame extensions to get at them. Once they're all free,
it's easy to lift the tub off the frame.
I had the fenders off and could lift either end by myself. I lifted the
front onto a 2x4 spanning two high saw horses beside either front wheel.
Then I lifted the rear and my wife pulled the frame forward, between the
sawhorses. I set the rear down on another sawhorse.
Make sure you brace the top of the cockpit with angle or 2x4's or it
will sag, even after you have repaired the sills.
Have fun.
John Vallely
'59 mga