Re: thermostat

To: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Subject: Re: thermostat
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 15:13:07 EDT
On Tue, 15 Sep 1998 10:45:19 -0700 neil.cairns@virgin.net writes:
>Michael Cline wrote:
>>
>> I know it will be hard to get a consensus but here we go: What
>thermostat
>> is best for a 1980 MGB? It had a 160 in it when I bought the car. I
>just
>> put in a 180 while replacing all of the hoses. Recommendations?
>> Mike Cline
>> Denver, CO
>
>My pennies worth......
>                     In the UK BMC cars were always too cool. It was,
>(
>and still is ) common to go 'UP' one thermostat in the spec. IE
>virtually all BMC used 82 ( 180 in American,) so we fit 88, ( 190 in
>A).
>For hot climates the book says use a 74, ( 165 in A) I assume that
>would
>be in the hotter parts of our old Empire.
>
>Neil.
I'll agree with Neil,
 On my GT, I run a 160 in the summer months (temps have averaged in the
mid 90's here for the last 3 1/2 months; current temp 92), and then in
the cooler months, switch to a 190.
 In the summer, the temp gauge stays just under the "N", and winter
readings are on the right leg of the "N".
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget